Welcome Guest Blogger: Author Jami Davenport

Welcome, Author Jami Davenport!

Find all her books HERE


Blurb from The Gift Horse:

Never look a Gift Horse in the mouth?

Carson Reynolds would dispute that statement. A gift horse got him into this mess in the first place. His mission: transform a run-down horse farm into the premium facility in the Pacific Northwest and a disorganized horse trainer with a penchant for self-sabotage into a winner.

After six years, Samantha MacIntyre has returned to the scene of a horrific barn fire allegedly caused by her carelessness. She accepts the head trainer position at that run-down facility to prove her innocence and to ride the talented, temperamental horse Carson received as a birthday gift. But first, she must pass the test: compete the horse for one season, impress Carson, and best his sister's preferred trainer.


As Sam and Carson get closer to the truth and mishaps escalate into serious accidents. With the help of an opinionated equine, they face a surprising reality--that love is more important than ambition, money, or blue ribbons.

Note: Some parts written in the horse's point of view.


Let's get to know, Jami!


1.) You write for both Bookstrand and Siren. What is the difference between the material in the two Siren-Bookstrand lines?

Siren is the erotic romance line. The books are steamier and the sex scenes more explicit. Bookstrand Publishing (there’s also a Bookstrand retail bookstore) concentrates on mainstream romance with either fewer sex scenes or the bedroom door is closed.

2.) How important is setting when writing a book, both in where you write and what you create for your characters?

In my first two books, setting was very important. They were both set in the San Juan Islands in Washington state. I love the San Juans and have spent hundreds of hours exploring and boating around those islands. I have pictures on my website and my Facebook if readers would like to see what the San Juans really look like. My husband and I vacation there once or twice every year. In fact, we’re heading there in a month. The San Juans have this special magic which I tried to illustrate in my books. This magic makes for a great romance. My third book, The Gift Horse, was set on a horse farm near Seattle. Again, the setting was where almost all the action took place. My fourth book, which is currently under consideration with three publishers, is set in Seattle also. The fifth, which I’m currently writing, is back in the San Juans. I’m really enjoying returning to the San Juans in my writing.


3.) Do you have any advice to offer aspiring authors that you wish you knew before you started your career?

Actually, I do. First of all, watch out for all those well-meaning people who tell you “rules” such as “you can’t have a hero who is a rock star.” I found out the hard way if the story is good enough, it doesn’t matter what rules you break. Do your research. It’s all out there on the internet for you to discover. Check it out and know what you’re doing. Learn the craft or writing. Join an RWA chapter or other writer’s group. Explore your options. Big publishing houses in NY are what every writer focuses on. It’s becoming harder and harder for an aspiring author to break into NY. If you write out of the box, like I often do, NY won’t touch your book. Your stories are better off with a small press so explore all the possibilities. Everyone has their own process when it comes to writing. So expose yourself to all the methods and develop your own. There is no right or wrong way to write a book.


4.) I see a lot of horses, both in your book content and cover art. Are horses a passion of yours?

I LOVE horses. I’ve been a horse nut since I was three years old. I’ve been a dedicated dressage rider since I graduated from college. I currently have a Hanoverian mare named Gailey. In fact, if you read The Gift Horse, you’ll see Gailey’s personality reflected in the equine star of the book. I usually have horses in my books, either in the background or as secondary characters.


5.) What are you working on now and what can we expect from you in the future?

I just finished Fourth and Goal, a reunion romance with a football star and his former college sweetheart. This is a book I started over ten years ago. Well meaning author friends told me “sports heroes don’t sell” so I put it on the shelf. When I finished The Gift Horse, I dug it out and decided to finish it. With all the option available now with small presses, I’m certain it’ll find a home somewhere. I’m now working on another book in the series. This is the one set again in the San Juans.

I’m really excited about Fourth and Goal. Personally, I love football. According to recent statistics, 45 percent of football fans are women. I’m hoping I will find an audience for this book and the rest of the series.


Some other books by Jami Davenport:


Jami's WEBSITE

Jami's BLOG

Equestrian Ink BLOG

Jami's FACEBOOK


Thanks so much for being a Guest Blogger today, Jami!

I love horses too and your sports hero books sound interesting and unique.











If you'd like to be a Guest Author Blogger, contact me: staceyespino@hotmail.com

Comments

Liz Fichera said…
I LOVE that part of your story is written from the horse's POV. Clever! Being a football fan, I'll also look forward to FOURTH & GOAL!
Jan Bowles said…
Hi Jami

I too love horses. I used to do a lot of it in my younger days, but have not been in the saddle for some years now. I used to ride them bareback as a kid.

I think they're noble creatures and worthy of a romance novel. You're onto a winner putting horses into a book, because all women simply love them.

Best wishes

Jan
OliviaStarke said…
I'll be checking it out! I'm a horse nut myself--and I have four of them to prove it lol. I rode dressage for several years and did some jumping as well. I hope to someday return to it--maybe low level 3 day eventing.

Olivia
Kristabel Reed said…
Ha, from the horse's POV? A friend of mine just told me about a detective series told from the dog's view. I may give it a try, just to see how it works. I've never been into horses, but am always up for a new read. This one sounds perfect.
You have a Hanoverian? I am so jealous! Perfect dressage horses! So many of us women are horse lovers! I've always believed a good horse is way more fun than a man.
Danica Avet said…
I love that you wrote from the horse's POV. I frequently wonder what animals thinking and have pondered using that in my writing.
GPS said…
Great interview! I love writing from an animal's perspective. Probably why I gravitate to shape-shifters. And I know so many women who love football (including moi) I'm looking forward to Fourth and Goal.
Jami Davenport said…
Hi, everyone, I'm so sorry I haven't responded to your comments yet, but I work full-time, and I'm also on Pacific time. So I'm catching on the day's mail.

As far as horses, I'm so glad to find so many horse/animal lovers. I wasn't sure how the horse POV would work out, but it actually worked out well. I'm thinking about doing a cat POV in my current WIP. If you friend me on Facebook, I have pics of the horse on their.

http://www.facebook.com/jamidavenport

Also, I'm surprised big publishers won't touch football romances. I've already gotten a few rejections on F&G. They loved the story, but just can't market football heroes. I guess I'm even more suprised they don't sell well. Thank goodness for small presses who are willing to take a chance on books that don't fit the NY mold.

Anyway, a special thanks to Stacey for inviting me to guest blog!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Evernight's 5th Birthday Blog Celebration!

Evernight's Holiday Hangover Hop

Evernight Celebrates 4 Years of Publishing!