Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Welcome Guest Blogger: Author Julia Barrett

Welcome Author, Julia Barrett!


Find Julia's Books HERE


Blurb from Daughters of Persephone

Aja Bokinan, of noble blood, is the Thousand Year Empress who has grown to adulthood in exile. Throughout the Empire, women are banned from public life, have no legal rights, and have become little better than property.



In an attempt to kill off the royal line and end all resistance, Aja is kidnapped by a General who intends to inject her with a lethal virus, hoping she will infect her family and Women of the Blood everywhere.


Kyr Aram, is a smuggler and secret resistance fighter. He must find a way to protect Aja from both the General and a traitor on his own ship who wishes to see her dead. With the Thousand Year Empress, he gets more than he bargained for.

Coming to Resplendence Publishing July 13, 2010



Let's get to know, Julia...


1.) You've already written in several sub-genres and are continuing to expand your writing portfolio. How important do you think it is for a writer to challenge themselves and push their comfort boundaries?

Some writers feel most comfortable sticking with one genre, say Paranormal or Romance Suspense. For whatever reason, I'm comfortable with many genres. I suppose it's partly because my taste in books is eclectic, partly because I have a very vivid imagination, and partly because I get bored easily and like to mix things up. I am a bit ADD-ish and I have a fairly short attention span. Writing in a variety of genres satisfies the constant craving I have for something new and different.

I would never presume to tell anyone what to do, but I would suggest that if there's a genre you are interested in, but you've been afraid to tackle it, try a short work first, 5000-10,000 words and see what you think. Just get your feet wet. That's what I did with my Cougar story for Logical Lust. I challenged myself to write a complete story in 5000 words, regardless of whether or not it was accepted. Happily, the editor loved the story and snatched it up right away.


2.) Captured has had amazing success! Personally, I loved it! How did you create your sci-fi world? Notes, research, dreams?

Thanks! Captured was born out of a dream. I quite literally dreamed the story from start to finish - which is one of the reasons it ends so abruptly...that's where my dream ended. I actually stopped working on the 4th book in the Daughters of Persephone series to get Captured onto my computer. The first draft took me three weeks, which I think is a record! I didn't do research, but I have always been an avid science fiction fan.

The truth is, the story is a bit of a fill in the blank for me. When I was eighteen years old, I moved to Israel. I worked on a chicken farm. One morning when I was collecting eggs, I lost two hours of my life. I remember entering the first chicken coop and I remember nothing else until I found myself standing in front of the last chicken coop (twelve coops later), and an older worker was asking me how I had collected twelve chicken coops all by myself in two hours. I had no answer for him. To this day, I have no recollection of what transpired during those two hours. Maybe Captured is my answer...


3.) You've stepped into the dark realm and have a menage scheduled for release later this year. Was it easier or more difficult to write than anticipated? Will you continue to write in this popular sub-genre?


Yup, crossed over into the dark side! The menage I've written, All Four One, is set in the Pacific Northwest in the future, when the United States and Canada no longer exist. I felt more comfortable writing a work of science fiction which allowed me to establish my own set of rules surrounding male/female relationships. A menage is tough to write and to choreograph. The levels of love, caring and commitment between all the parties in the relationship must be really stepped up for the story to work. I found that doing justice, not only to the genre, but to my characters, to be very challenging! Will I write another? Working on one now!


4.) How long does it take you to finish writing a book? Do you take time each day to add to your word count?

When all is going well in my life, it takes me two to four months to write a book. I cranked out Captured in three weeks, my Cougar story - You Might Just Get It - in two. Beauty and the Feast, my contemporary, took maybe five months, while My Everything, my romance/suspense, took two. There are days when I can tack on three thousand words and other days when I barely get down two hundred. I guess the answer is, it all depends upon what else is happening with me and with my family.



5.) What are you working on now and what can we expect from you in the future?


You can definitely expect more science fiction! I have a four book futuristic series, Daughters of Persephone, coming out with Resplendence Publishing in July and August. I'm working on a sequel to Captured involving Ekkatt's brother. Ekkatt and Mari will make a reappearance. My next menage is a paranormal and it's kind of the work I'm most focused on right now as the story has been in my head for a while. I've also got a post-apocalyptic work in progress - in first person which is very different for me. I usually write in third person. With third person, I can tell the story via multiple characters. With first person, I have to explore the thought processes and perceptions of my other characters through the eyes of the protagonist - it's very interesting, that's for sure!

Thanks for having me, Stacey!

Check out some of Julia's other books:


Thanks for blogging with me, Julia!  Love your answers.  You're an amazing author and friend.  I can't wait to get my paws on  Daughters of Persephone!



Visit Julia's WEBSITE

Email Julia at: julia@juliarachelbarrett.net



11 comments:

Danica Avet said...

That is a fierce cover and the story sounds great. It's going in my TBR pile which just keeps growing and growing...kind of like my laundry pile. *sigh*

Always Abigail said...

The cover is awesome. The blurb makes me want to buy it right NOW. Can't wait to read it!

Amber Skyze said...

Great interview! Julia is such a talented author, this new series is destined for greatness.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Thank you Stacey and you wonderful ladies!

Lindsay Townsend said...

Great cover, Julia! Wonderful interview by you and Stacey! Wow -a ll those genres, you clever lass!

Katalina Leon said...

Julia is a very talented writer and I'm so happy to hear Ekkat's brother will get his own story!
XXOO Kat

Fran Lee said...

Of course Julia is on my auto-buy list!

Beth D. Carter said...

I love hearing about your work, Julia! Beauty and the Feast was one of my favorites! Thanks for blogging and thanks to Stacey for having you!

SusiSunshine said...

I totally agree with Stacey Captured was awesome. But I think Julia noticed that I love her writing., I can't wait for ext month and my Julia scifi fix.

And All Four One sounds so hawt. Can't wait.

Hope you 2 have a great day!
((hugs))

Genella deGrey said...

Great interview, girls!
Hi Julia! waving*
:)
G.

Amber Scott said...

I love the crossing over into the dark realm part! Too funny.
Great interview!

Related Posts with Thumbnails