Welcome Guest Blogger: Author Liz Fichera

Welcome, Author Liz Fichera!


Find her book HERE


Blurb for Captive Spirit:

Sonoran Desert. Dawn of the sixteenth century.

Aiyana isn’t like the other girls of the White Ant Clan. Instead of keeping house, she longs to compete on the Ball Court with her best friend Honovi and the other boys. Instead of marriage, she daydreams of traveling beyond the mountains that surround her small village. Only Honovi knows and shares her forbidden wish, though Aiyana doesn’t realize her friend has a secret wish of his own…


When Aiyana’s father arranges her marriage to a man she hardly knows, she takes the advice of a tribal elder: Run! In fleeing, she falls into the hands of Spanish raiders and finds herself being taken over the mountains against her will. Now Aiyana’s on a quest to return to the very place she once dreamed of escaping. And she’ll do whatever it takes to survive and find her way back to the people she loves.


BOOK TRAILER


After reading the interview, leave a COMMENT to be eligible to win a free copy of Liz's new release: CAPTIVE SPIRIT! 

Isn't she awesome!?!


Let's get to know, Liz...


1.) How has your experience been with Carina Press? Would you recommend them to new authors?


My experience has been the kind that you hope for as a debut author. Last January, I saw a tweet from Executive Editor, Angela James. “Send us your historicals!” she tweeted. “Our editors are hungry for historicals!” So, I sent her CAPTIVE SPIRIT. By March, I got “The Call.” Soon after, I learned from Elizabeth Bass, Carina Press editor extraordinaire, that I would be one of the Carina Press launch authors and that my book would release on June 28. Oh, happy day! Everyone at Carina Press has been professional, friendly, helpful, and enthusiastic. I feel very lucky and proud to be associated with this cool publisher. The other bonus has been connecting with other Carina Press authors, which I’ve enjoyed very much.


2.) What time in history does your book take place in? Did it require a lot of research on your part?

CAPTIVE SPIRIT takes place at the dawn of the sixteenth century in the Sonoran Desert, the area known today as Phoenix, Arizona, in the American Southwest. The main characters are Hohokam Indians, who also happened to be the first inhabitants of the Sonoran Desert. They arrived around 300 BC and vanished mysteriously around 1500 AD and no one really knows why. That’s the bit of little-known history that inspired me to write the book. There’s not a lot written about the Hohokam Indians, weirdly, because I think their history just begs for a story. I was able to do a lot of my research at the Phoenix Heard Museum, a very cool place in downtown Phoenix.


3.) Are there other genres that you'd be interested in trying to write in the future?

CAPTIVE SPIRIT wasn’t the first book I’d written but it was the first to be published. I love to write in the young adult, paranormal, fantasy, and chick lit genres. I’d also love to write a screenplay at some point in the future.


4.) You've been getting great reviews for Captive Spirit! How does it feel to have your book out there for the world to read?

Thank you! I tell you, getting your book reviewed feels a lot like walking naked in public. I’ve had many sleepless nights, hoping that reviewers “got” my story and my characters. Again, I’ve been fortunate. The reviews and reviewers have been lovely and I couldn’t be happier, although it was a lot easier when my “reviewers” used to be my mother and sisters who, naturally, loved everything I wrote.


5.) What are you working on now and what can we expect from you in the future?

I’m currently finishing the edits for a contemporary fantasy romance, and I’ve got a young adult novel featuring a Gila Indian girl on submission. Once I complete the edits on my contemporary romance, I’d like to start a sequel to CAPTIVE SPIRIT. I can’t get Aiyana and Honovi out of my head!


Thanks, Stacey, for inviting me to blog with you today.

Side note: Stacey was also one of the first writers to “friend” me on Facebook, my blog, and Twitter, something I appreciate to this day.



Liz Fichera is an author from the American Southwest by way of Chicago. She likes to write stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things, oftentimes against the backdrop of Native American legends. When she’s not plotting her next novel, you can find her on Facebook or her Blog, discussing writing, books, hunks du jour, LOST reruns or the best brands of chocolate. Please visit her web site because it can get real lonely in the desert: http://www.lizfichera.com  


CAPTIVE SPIRIT is available from Carina Press, Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and wherever digital books are sold.

Great having you on my blog, Liz!  You're a wonderful friend, and I wish you mega sales and success with your books.  You deserve it!

Comments

Eve Langlais said…
Congrats on your first book getting published. I love the cover by the way.
Beth D. Carter said…
Hi Liz! Beautiful cover! Aiyana's eyes just make you want to dive into the story! Thanks for blogging, your book sounds awesome. I love reading and learning about people I've never heard of before and the Hohokam Indians sound very mysterious. Congrats and happy sales!
Liz Fichera said…
Hi, Eve! Thanks so much! I know that I'm completely and totally biased but I agree with you on the cover. When I first saw, I cried! Yes, real tears. :-) That's because I thought she looked exactly like the Aiyana in my head.
Liz Fichera said…
Thank you, Beth! To be honest, I'm stumped that they're haven't been lots more stories with or about the Hohokam Indians. Their history is fascinating and the way they vanished just begs for a story. They're are lots of theories why the Hohokam vanished from the desert but no one knows for sure. To this day!
Tanya said…
Hey Liz! Congratulations on your first publish! The book sounds fantastic and is on my TBR already! One of the things that I found more unique about this book is the type of history and characters it centers around! Did you center your book around the history, or the history into the 'vision' of the plot you already had? Did you have to do a lot of research for this book?

And, yes, I agree that the cover looks great!

I'm looking forward to reading it!

~Tanya
Liz Fichera said…
Hi Tanya!

Thanks so much! When I first moved to Phoenix, I remember learning about the Hohokam and that little piece of intriguing history just kind of stuck in my head like a seed. I remember thinking, "I've got to write a story about that some day..." So, my story built up around that piece of little-known history.

Regarding research, I spent a lot of time at the Phoenix Heard Museum. It's a super-cool place and has, I believe, one of the most comprehensive Native American history collections in the world. I'm lucky it's minutes from my house. There's not a whole lot written or even available about the Hohokam. Their petroglphs still exist, though. I've got a couple cool pics on my book trailer.

Hope you enjoy the novel--be sure to let me know what you think! Thanks for taking the time to read it too! :-)
OMG this book sounds amazing! I love the cover and the blurb! I hope you have many sales and definitely include me in the contest!
Linda Acaster said…
This sounds really intriguing, Liz, and I am pleased to have come across notice of your novel as it's rare to find full NAmerican stories. I've written one among the Apsaroke/Crow of the northern plains, but it's 1830s so much nearer the present.

Can I ask if it was the Hohokum people who left all the petrogylphs in the Painted Desert? I'm from the UK, and the first year we travelled to the SWest it was on my must-see list along with GCanyon.

I wish you well with the book.
Liz Fichera said…
Hi Julia,

Thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words of encouragement! :-)
Liz Fichera said…
Hi Linda! You are so right about the lack of stories with Native American characters as the main characters. For the life of me, I don't understand why, considering the interesting history, legends, cultures, etc. All beg for stories! I'm intrigued by your novel and will check it out!

Many of the petroglyphs you find in the Sonoran Desert (central and southern AZ) are Hohokam but in some places claim to be Anasazi. Anasazi are also ancient pueblo peoples but they are from northern Arizona. The Navajo gave them their name. It means "The Old Ones" but I've also read where it means "The Enemy."

"Hohokam," on the other hand, means "Those Who Have Gone" and it was given to them by the Pima Indians.

So, lots of cool history in the Sonoran Desert! :-) Hope you can come back and visit. It's a cool state.
flchen1 said…
Great interview, Liz and Stacey! Liz, thanks for sharing your "call" story--I love learning how you got your start! And Captive Spirit sounds like a beautiful story--I'm looking forward to reading it and am glad you've got a sequel percolating :) Congrats again on being part of Carina Press's launch--it sounds like a great organization for writers and readers!
Brandlwyne said…
Wow that sounds like a really good book. I love historicals. Thanks for the interview!!!

brandyzbooks@yahoo.com
Liz Fichera said…
flchen1, Thank you so much!

Working with Carina Press really has been great! But there's something to be said for timing and a little good luck. I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time, with a story that connected with them.

I do appreciate the diversity of stories that Carina has purchased. There seems to be something for everybody! As a reader myself (when I'm not writing), I certainly love having lots of choice. :-)
Liz Fichera said…
Brandlwyne, Thank you! Me, too. I love reading historicals too--the more unusual the place, the better! :-)
LORETTA CANTON said…
I read the first chapter and I like it. I love a story about real history that you don't know what happened but you are given a ending.

lorettaC
lbcanton@verizon.net
Liz Fichera said…
Hi Loretta, thanks for reading the first chapter and glad you liked it!
Lorena said…
It's really gratifying to see more minority main characters in fiction (I'm a minority myself). I'll have to give your book a read in the near future. Here's to hoping I'm lucky enough to win a free copy!

Lorena
lorena(dot)ruggero(at)gmail(dot)com
stacey said…
Congrats on your book looks like a great one .Can't wait to read it.
sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com
Liz Fichera said…
Lorena, I agree with you completely! Thanks for commenting!
Liz Fichera said…
Stacey, thank you!
Liz Fichera said…
**Announcement**

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on this post! Thanks also to the very cool Stacey Espino for letting me blog with you! I had a blast!!

And we have a winner! I used random.org to generate a random number and the winner of the free digital copy of CAPTIVE SPIRIT is...

*drum roll*

Brandlwyne!

I will be contacting Branlwyne via email TODAY.

Thanks, everybody!

Popular posts from this blog

Evernight's 5th Birthday Blog Celebration!

Evernight's Holiday Hangover Hop

Evernight Celebrates 4 Years of Publishing!