Welcome Guest Blogger: Author Julia Rachel Barrett

Welcome, Author Julia Rachel Barrett!


Find her books HERE


New Release.  Out Today! 

BUY HERE

Blurb from One Four All:

Lira Pakan, heir to the Throne of Zhinshu, has vanished. Her zealots gather along the border with the neighboring state of Khubuk, awaiting the outcome of her father's pleas to the World Court.


Captain Tanner Kepp serves in the elite Special Forces of Khubuk. When the captain is ordered to choose two men to accompany him to Land's End, an isolated compound on the maritime border between Khubuk and Zinshu, the last thing he expects to find is the missing princess.


Captain Kepp, Arms Master Cer Watso and Sergeant Redda Till realize they must rescue her and avert all out war.

The princess, however, has other plans. These men can be more than her rescuers. According to the law of Zhinshu, she must choose three men as consorts. Her people say: "one to guard the right hand, one to guard the left hand, and one to guard the back, always."



Let's get to know, Julia...



1.) So you've come to the dark side...What challenges did you face when writing a menage?

The first challenge I faced was getting beyond my one man one woman orientation. That was a big hurdle. I, personally, am not into sharing, so I needed to create a world in my mind where sharing would be expected, accepted, normal and natural. That's not to say my world was without conflict - for instance, according to the laws of her land, my heroine must take three consorts. In their society, my heroes expect two people in a relationship, not four. Sharing is new to them too.


2.) What is the key to writing a convincing, loving relationship with more that the standard two characters?

I think you've hit the key on the nose with the words - a loving relationship. Every character in a menage must be loved and he or she must have a purpose. A character can't simply be a cipher, or a bed mate. He or she must add something intrinsic to the relationship as a whole, something no other character brings to the story.


3.) Do you do a lot of planning/research when writing a sci-fi novel?

The research for the science fiction aspect was easy. I imagined our own world, say...a hundred years in the future when borders and nations have changed, and technology has advanced somewhat, but humans still have the same needs, wants and desires and conflict between nations, unfortunately, still exists.



4.) How long does it take you to complete a novel? Do you write every day?

It depends upon the book. Some books take six months or more to complete, some I finish in a month. One Four All, once I set my mind to it, was finished in four or five weeks. I am definitely not one of those writers who can write every single day - wish I could! My life is just too busy to devote every day to writing.



5.) What are you working on now and what can we expect from you in the future?

Right now I"m working on a humorous romance novella fictionalizing my canoe trip from hell - I think you read about that - LOL! I'm also working on a two volume post-apocalyptic fantasy involving a female savior/messiah figure. That one is slow-going!

Thanks for having me, Stacey!


Thanks for joining me, Julia!  I can't wait to read All Four One.  Love the title, by the way ;)


Julia's WEBSITE

Comments

I love the blurb for the book and i like the writers approach to writing the book! Great Interview
Thank you Abigail, and thanks, Stacey, for the fun interview!
flchen1 said…
Hi, Stacey and Julia! Thanks for the lovely interview--I always enjoy getting a peek into the minds and hearts of authors :) Looking forward to picking up your new release, Julia!