My Heroine is a Whore!



Good Girls Gone Bad...

Being an erotic romance writer, it's always a balancing act to make the heroine likeable and, well, not sound like a whore.  This is especially true in a menage romance.  No matter how sweet or respectable a girl is, once you add a menage element, it's out of our realm of reality.  A 'real' girl wouldn't participate in such a forbidden act, a 'real' girl can only love one man at a time. 


However, this is fiction.  Readers want the erotic boundary pushed, so the heroine has to get a little nasty.  A menage romance is a true fantasy, something most will only read about in books.  It's fun and challenging to create a loving menage that is realistic.  Emotions play a huge role because 'real' people feel jealousy, anger, fear, guilt, insecurities, etc.

It's tough to be a heroine in one of my books.  She'll be judged for being open with her sexuality, for experimenting, for loving more than one man.  She'll be blasted for trying new things, being too shy or too feisty, being too eager or too hard to get. If I let my heroine play hard to get for 3/4 of a book to eliminate the 'whore' label, readers would find me and destroy me.

Since most of my menages clearly have double/triple penetration, sex toys, bdsm, public exhibition, etc. does that make the heroine a whore or liberated? Hmmm...

Sex is not a bad thing.

Take a walk in the shoes of one of my heroines.  It's hard work, but equally rewarding ;)

Stacey xo

Find my backlist titles HERE



Comments

Delilah Hunt said…
Great article Stacey. I think it could be a mix of both. Whore and Liberated, lol. But I like that. It's fiction... If I pick up a book about a menage I want action, I want the heroine to get into it as much as the men. Really, I think it's best just not to judge, and enjoy the story for what it is.
Sondrae Bennett said…
I agree with Delilah. If I pick up an erotica, that's what I'm looking for.

P.S. I LOVE the name of this post. It made me laugh.
Dee Dawning said…
Hi Stacey, You covered the dichotomy of menages specifically and adventurous women in general pretty thoroughly. Good job.

Dee
Starfox Howl said…
Hi Stacey:

Sorry, but I don't agree that a woman can only love "one man at a time". Just like a man can love and have a wholesome emotional and sexual relationship with more than one woman, a woman is capable of that as well. It's not the norm in our fundamentalist, "monogamy is the only way" society, but there are numbers of trios and quads who have loving, jealousy free relationships where both Daddy Adam and Daddy Steve help raise Mommy Eve's children.

But I will agree with you that women are judged using a double standard. Men who revel in their sexual power are considered virile and powerful, while women are judged 'loose' and 'fallen' when they choose to do the same.

But that's just my opinion, from the other side of the bed.
Hey, we all deserve a loving relationship. Very brave of you, Stacey - I think it's cool!
Remember Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman?
Pat C. said…
I wonder if there is a double standard concerning male and female characters and promiscuity. The hero of my latest release, a M/M paranormal, really is a whore: he works as a prostitute in a brothel and falls for one of his clients. The publisher clearly had no problem with his vocation. Would the same have held true had he been a woman? Be interesting to see what kind of comments I get on this, if any. If you like, I'll keep you posted.
Kate Hill said…
Great post! Actually, the heroine in my latest book is a whore, or was. She's a pleasure shifter. The book is a menage with redemption mixed in for the heroine and both heroes. I don't think women enjoying sex (with one man or more) makes them unrealistic or difficult to like. Everyone is different, but I agree with Starfox Howl. I think people have the capacity to love more than one person. Some might love more than one, others might not want to love anyone at all but are looking for occasional companionship and someone to have fun with. That's fine too. Some might need a monogamous relationship, but others don't. It depends on the individual. As a reader and a writer, I thoroughly enjoy both menage stories and stories with one-on-one relationships. As long as I feel for the characters, either type of story works for me.
Fiona McGier said…
What I have found is that most men think a woman is exceedingly hot if she wants to have wild, uninhibited sex with them, and she's a whore if she wants to do that with any other man, or God forbid, men! What he fails to take into account is that if she's virtuous, she'll probably be inexperienced in the sack and unable to tell him what she likes, let alone know what he might like. Stories about virgins who have multiple orgasms on their very first time make me snort in laughter...but they also make inexperienced readers think that is the norm. Many men are inexperienced themselves, so name-calling should be left at the door, along with the shoes. In the bedroom (or whatever area you choose to have sex in), there should be no insults or judgmental
comments. Sex needs to be embraced for the wonderful gift it is...for all of us, not just those with male parts. After all, we women have the one organ on the body made SOLELY for sexual pleasure! Viva la difference!
cinquetta said…
My mother had a saying differience between a whore and a slut. A slut would fuck anybody and a whore will not fuck you. There is nothing wrong been a whore for your man or men as long you are with him or them. There is nothing wrong with knotting boots, sexy up off the chain sex get as raunchy as you want as long it is within the group.

Popular posts from this blog

Evernight's 5th Birthday Blog Celebration!

Evernight's Holiday Hangover Hop

Evernight Celebrates 4 Years of Publishing!